I really, really love zucchini spaghetti – it’s much less time consuming than spaghetti squash. I made the mistake of cooking the zucchini too long and it got kind of soggy and watery. Still good, but maybe not so appetizing to those who are hesitant about this dish in the first place. You can also see in the pictures that I added the basil while it was cooking. In the directions, I’ve changed it so that you mix all of the zucchini ingredients together first, then toss in the pan. The point is to heat through, not cook.
The other great thing about this is that it would go great with a bunch of different proteins. You could bake some crispy tofu and add it, or maybe some edamame beans… a nice white fish or even chicken would go well with it, too. We went with shrimp, because I had a craving!
Zucchini Spaghetti and Shrimp
- 1 green zucchini, grated
- 1 yellow zucchini, grated
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- olive oil
- white wine
- Prep all of your veggies – the trick with the zucchini is to cut them in half width-wise, and then grate them the long way on a cheese grater.
- In a bowl, toss together zucchini, basil, juice from the lemon and some lemon zest.
- Heat two pans with oil – one for the shrimp, one for the zucchini.
- Add garlic and shallots to the pan for the shrimp.
- Add zucchini to the second pan. Heat through, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once, warm, add shrimp to the garlic and shallots. Add a splash of white wine. Cook through.
- Plate zucchini and top with shrimp.