It’s certainly been a while since I’ve posted, and I’m sorry. We were in the process of moving for months… and now our kitchen is finally kind of functional. It’s still mid-renovations, but I can cook!
I made some Mexican fried rice the other night with some guacamole, and it turned out really well. It made for some really great leftovers as well.
If you don’t want to use rice, you can always substitute quinoa, or even lentils would be ok. Or you could go crazy and use a couple different types of beans and make this more of a warm Mexican bean salad.
Mexican Fried Rice
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 package taco seasoning
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 2 pinches paprika
- 1 can black beans, rinsed really well
- 1 can corn, rinsed really well
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- green onions, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- handful cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- Cook the rice.
- Make the guacamole: mash together 1 avocado, 1 garlic clove, pinch of shallots, 1 tsp cilantro, some dice tomato and lime juice.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Once warm, add garlic and shallots. Fry until fragrant, then add both beans and corn. After they are warmed through, add the rest of the veggies and seasoning. Add cilantro.
- Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, then add some lime juice.
- Top with guacamole.