(adopted from the recipe found here.)
My biggest struggle is breakfast. I try to wake up as late as possible and still make it on time to work. I was getting pretty sick of eggs as well. Plus, I was reading some pretty interesting stuff in the newspaper about how critical carbs are first thing in the morning. They give you stamina!
So these muffins are crazy, super healthy. Dairy free as well. I changed it a little bit from the original recipe. I used blackberries – there are never enough berries in my life.
The muffins are dense, and nice and crunchy because of the buckwheat. I would probably leave out the molasses altogether next time. Give them a try.
Holy Healthy Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup natural wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup black chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 dried figs
- 1 cup blackberries chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease cups in a muffin tin.
- In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In a medium bowl, mash up the banana.
- Add all of the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into the large bowl of dry ingredients
- Stir until well combined and then add in the figs and fruit.
- Pour into the muffin tin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Eat while still warm, then save some in the fridge or freezer for later.