(adopted from the recipe found here.)
This soup is made extra hearty because you end up pouring it over brown rice. But if you aren’t feeling the rice, you can replace it with quinoa. Or you can it the soup all by itself.
Green Chicken Soup
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 whole chicken breasts, raw
- 1 cup sofrito
- 1 container chicken broth
- 1 whole tomato, diced
- cumin, paprika, garlic salt, oregano, coriander
- 1 can black beans
- salt and pepper
- green olives, chopped
- avocado, sliced
- In a food processor, add 1/2 green pepper, 1 red chili, 1/2 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 bunch cilantro. Blend until smooth.
- Cook rice.
- Make the sofrito.
- Combine the seasonings and crush/mix together.
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil. Then add the sofrito and cook until heated.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, seasonings (to taste) and chicken breasts.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and use forks to shred it.
- Add the chicken back to the soup.
- Add black beans and green olives.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Place a heaping spoonful of rice in each bowl, then pour soup over top.
- Top with sliced avocado.