(adopted from this recipe found here.)
This was really delicious, but also made our apartment smell crazy. For days. It might be a while before I make it again, even though it made some great leftovers for lunch.
Cauliflower really does make a great substitute for rice. I would even use it in curry or just in any stir fry.
Fried Cauliflower and Tofu
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- veggie broth
- soy sauce
- 1/2 pkg tofu
- sesame oil
- fish sauce
- About an hour before you start cooking, wrap your tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate with something heavy on it. This will make it extra firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Chop up the tofu into cubes and place it on a baking sheet. Pour some sesame oil, fish sauce and soy sauce on top – just enough to coat.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes. Take out, flip, and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Chop up all of your veggies.
- Place the cauliflower and onion in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower looks “riced.”
- Place a large pan on medium heat. Add some cooking spray and saute the garlic.
- Add the cauliflower and veggies. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of veggie broth into the mixture, along with the fresh ginger and some soy sauce to “brown” the cauliflower.
- Saute for another 5 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- Add your cooked tofu and stir.