(adopted from my much-used Planet Organic cookbook.)
Ok, let me apologize in advance for the lack of photos. I was really busy in our little kitchen.
Trying to make dinner. Trying to make lunch. Baking yam cookies with a friend. And! There was a very intense hockey game going on the television that was very distracting.
But the soup is good! Spicy. And good.
Mediterranean Chickpea Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed well
- kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Once hot, add the chopped onion.
- Saute for about 3 minutes, then add all of the spices.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, plus one can-full of water.
- Grate some lemon zest into the broth, then squeeze the juice.
- Bring to a simmer and add chickpeas, olives, red pepper and zucchini.
- Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.