(adopted from the recipe found here.)
I have a newfound addiction to soba noodles. I actually have to limit myself to how much I eat. They’re good for you and everything, but I still can’t get over feeling like I am loading myself up on carbs – it looks like pasta!!!
When making this excellent dinner (and trust me, it was really, really excellent) I had a moment of panic when I thought that coconuts were maybe considered fruit. Plus, they’re white… Two “no’s” on the diet list.
I did some research, which came up pretty inconclusive. I also stopped caring. Because this noodle bowl is SO fracking good.
(Tip: try to not eat all of your baked tofu while waiting for the soup to simmer. Try.)
Coconut Soba Noodle Bowl
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 (or 2 if you like it spicy) jalapeno, diced
- 3 stalks of lemon grass, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 heaping tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 limes, zest from both and juice from one
- 2 cups roughly chopped mushrooms
- soba noodles
- 1 handful cilantro
- If you can, an hour before starting, place tofu on a plate and then place another heavier plate on top. This will drain some excess water, leaving the tofu even firmer than before.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut up tofu into little cubes and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with the soy sauce and oil (sesame or olive), just enough to coat.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until edges are browned. Be sure to check and flip over halfway through.
- In a food processor, combine the jalapeno, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, shallot and a 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth. Add some cilantro if you’d like and pulse a few times.
- In a large sauce pot, heat up some oil and then add the lemongrass puree. Heat until fragrant.
- Whisk in the coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, lime zest and 1 cup of water.
- Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- When the broth has about 5 minutes left to go, add soba noodles and mushrooms to cook.
- Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then pour soup into bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro and tofu.