(adopted from a recipe found here.)
I was trying to think of ways that someone could make this a vegetarian dish, and I’m at a loss. So if you have a suggestion, be sure to post it.
Also, the dip required yogurt. I tried my best to find soy yogurt and failed. I ended up with soy sour cream… which just isn’t the same. But it all worked out in the end, and I got a thumbs up from my dinner companion.
Turkey Patties w/Curried Yams
- olive oil
- 2 yams, peeled and sliced into coins
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 lbs ground lean turkey
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 or 2 pinches red chili pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- 1 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to about 375. Place yams, garlic, seasonings and olive oil on a baking sheet. Make sure that you only use enough olive oil to coat everything. You don’t want too much.
- Mix everything up with your hands, thoroughly coating everything.
- Place in oven and time for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked quinoa, turkey, all spice, cumin, chili flakes, mint and green onions.
- Form into patties.
- Place a large pan on the stove and heat some oil up on medium.
- When your oven timer goes off, take out yams and stir them around. Put them back in for another 10 minutes. But be sure to keep an eye on them and check often.
- Place turkey patties on the the heated pan. Cook each side for about 5 minutes, or until the outside look crispy brown. Double check that they are cooked through.
- For dip: mix together all ingredients.